Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 2015 18:14:28 +0000
From:      "Li, Xiao" <xaol@amazon.com>
To:        Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>, Analysiser <analysiser@gmail.com>
Cc:        Hackers freeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Passphraseless Disk Encryption Options?

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the suggestion! I=B9m trying to achieve that the data could only
be accessed in a trusted booted system and cannot be decrypted when the
startup disk is a cold storage device. Something like FileVault on Mac OS
X (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204837).

I admit the protocol is broken. Like in geli, there have to be an
unencrypted /boot partition to load kernel, and the rest of the OS is on
an encrypted large storage partition. I=B9m thinking if I could make it
passwordless then the passphrase or the key have to be stored on the
unencrypted partition which would definitely break the security protocol,
therefore I=B9m wondering if the passphrase or the key could be protected i=
the non volatile memory of some firmwares like TPM and could be retrieved
only in known system status=8A

Thanks again!
Xiao

On 9/8/15, 10:44 AM, "owner-freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org on behalf of Igor