Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:45:47 -0300
From:      Fernando Schapachnik <fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar>
To:        alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, David Kirchner <davidk@accretivetg.com>, Ivan Krstic <ike@gnjilux.srk.fer.hr>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin user

En un mensaje anterior, alexus escribió:
> # su -m bin
> su: /usr/local/bin/bash: Permission denied
> # id
> uid=0(root) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel), 2(kmem), 3(sys), 4(tty),
> 5(operator), 20(staff), 31(guest)
> #
>
> it won't switch to bin for some reason:(

From man su:

-m      Leave the environment unmodified.  The invoked shell is your lo-
        gin shell, and no directory changes are made.  As a security pre-
        caution, if the target user's shell is a non-standard shell (as
        defined by getusershell(3)) and the caller's real uid is non-ze-
        ro, su will fail.

I guess that the read uid!=0 check is not implemented. Reset the bin
shell and you'll be fine.

Regards.

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Planificación de red y tecnología