Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 19:40:57 -0700
From:      hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   custom drivers

i'm an embedded hacker doing my best to use
FreeBSD for monitoring all my little units
Inet/html/snmp style.

anyway - i have tons of Borland/Tasm 4.5 code
that i'd like to port to BSD.  as i see it, all
my direct access drivers (and i have custom
modular drivers for EVERYTHING) will wreak
major havoc with BSD.

my initial/major concern is reading incoming
packets at the FreeBSD boxes radio modem
links (should appear as a normal modem).

what C function will allow me to r/w null terminated
strings as well as numofbytes specified arrays from/to
	com ports?
what's good ref material for gcc functs?
what devices will BSD completely ignore
	when marked "disabled"? (to insert my own ASM drivers)
how finicky would BSD be to the insertion of my own ints/irqs?