Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:51:53 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Sven Ahtama <sven@vega.et.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Swap

Hello!

Is there a limit of how big swap partition the FreeBSD can handle ?

I am asking this because I have perviously installed many FreeBSD
workstations and servers and have never run into this kind of problem.

I have a web server with medium traffic (600k requests per day) with 128MB
RAM and 256MB Swap partition. For commercial purposes I have to process
all the log files daily. Now the total amount of logs have grown and my
log analyser 'analog' uses quite much memory for the processing.

The strange part however is that at any time when I check 'swapinfo' it
shows me:

/dev/da0s1b	131072	0	131072	0%	Interleaved

which means it never really uses the swap space. Now my server has crashed
three times during this week with a message: /kernel: out of swap space!

The procedure for defining swap under FreeBSD has been all the same for
all the cases I have installed. It has worked so far. However I have
always used 64M swap partitions.

Thanks in advance.
sven.