Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:40:32 GMT
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/72383: manpage for awk(1) is terribly small and loses important notes

The following reply was made to PR docs/72383; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To: Seva Gluschenko <gvs@rinet.ru>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/72383: manpage for awk(1) is terribly small and loses
 important notes
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:39:06 -0400

 On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:07:02 +0400 (MSD)
 Seva Gluschenko <gvs@rinet.ru> wrote:

 > >Number:         72383
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       manpage for awk(1) is terribly small and loses important notes
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       non-critical
 > >Environment:
 > System: FreeBSD road.yandex.ru 5.3-BETA3 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA3 #11: Tue Sep 7 19:13:32 MSD 2004 gvs@road.yandex.ru:/local/obj/local/usr/src/sys/ROAD i386

 > 	Cite from gawk (bundled with FreeBSD-4.x) manpage:
 >
 >        Each field in the input record may be referenced by its  position,  $1,
 >        $2,  and  so  on.  $0 is the whole record.  The value of a field may be
 >        assigned to as well.  Fields need not be referenced by constants:

 To the best of my knowledge, this is contrib software and these
 should either be fixed on the vendor branch or we need permission
 to take the manual page off the vendor branch.  I'm only keen on
 the first option though.

 --
 Tom Rhodes