Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 02:43:18 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: performance effects of many interface addresses?

T. William Wells wrote in message ID
<4pqeud$ohs@twwells.com>:
> I was just doing the programming to allow another class C address
> for use by our Web server and was wondering: just how is having
> some 250 addresses on an ethernet interface going to affect my
> machine? Could this be related to the transfer speed problem I
> described in a previous message?

Not unless you have a very slow processor. The overhead of additional
aliased addresses has been proven to be minimal. Someone aliased over
4000 addresses to an ethernet interface and eventually stopped because
he got bored! Also, the overhead only counts when you have to search
the alias list. If you are doing transfers through the main IP
address, the transfer rate shouldn't be affected (if I remember right)

Gary