Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:12:32 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
>> > Life is a local increase in order, by definition.
>>
>> I don't know about that, I've seen the floor of a stock exchange or
>> a busy park with lots of kids. That doesn't look like order to me.
>
> The stock market is not alive, the people are.

Read carefully, oh admonisher of careful reading. I said "the floor
of a stock exchage".

>> > Don't worry; my presumtions are a subset of nearly everyone's.
>>
>> Never mind that verifying this is close to impossible, would you
>> like to tell me just how you learned everyone's presumptions without
>> first making a bunch of your own? ;)
>
> I didn't make a generalization, so your statement is incorrect.

My statement was a question, so your attempted refutation is
non-sequitor.

Note the use of a question mark. ;)

>> > It makes me incredibly tolerant,
>>
>> This is wrong by observation. You aren't tolerant of trolls. A
>> truly incredible tolerant person would be. QED. |)
>
> I haven't hunted them down and dealt with them.  I think that
> it demonstrates incredible tolerance, to not act when one can.

I think it demonstrates incredible arrogance, to say you can
act but you don't. It certainly isn't tolerance.

>> > and much easier to convince by way of logical argument.
>>
>> Oh I doubt that highly.
>
> How would you know, since you haven't really tried any?

Well, first I would have to understand your definition of "logical".
The definition I used above is obviously inadequate for you. ;)

>> > Even if, like you, you pretend to irrationality to try and expand
>> > the set of allowable behaviours as a governance of our own internal
>> > rules.
>>
>> I don't pretend to it. I know it, and it's inverse. I use whichever
>> one is appropriate at the time.
>
> You act like Gregory Benford's "Changeling" character

More labels. To Terry Lambert, all the world's a label.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining
and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
                -- Mark Twain