Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 16:12:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Chris Gage <cgage@us.ibm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Writing a kernel module

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Chris Gage wrote:
> I've been looking, so far in vain, for some kind of guidelines about how I
> would go about writing a kernel module for FreeBSD.  What I need to do is
> more or less what a firewall or a router does, ie intercept packets at the
> lowest level inside IP and either return them to the stack if I don't want
> them, or forward them to some other IP address if I do want them.  If
> anyone could point me to a place where this jewel of rather fundamental
> information resides, I'd be very grateful.
> Chris Gage -- IBM Corporation -- RTP, NC -- cgage@us.ibm.com -- (919) 254
> 5572 -- t/l 444 5572

	Other people had asked this, but I had not seen replies so I
thought there was nothing written about this.  But I went to the google
exact phrase "kernel module"
	The first result is
http://people.freebsd.org/~erich/ddwg/ddwg48.html
Which is part of and gives a link to the FreeBSD device Driver Writers
Guide which I didn't know existed.  Other results from that search are
probably good too.
	Of course you'll also want to get a hold of "The Design and
Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System"  by Kirk Mckusick if you
don't already have it.
	And I just found this by looking at the tutorials page.  The last
three are fairly advanced and one links to:
Dynamic Kernel Linker (KLD) Facility Programming Tutorial [Intro]
http://www.daemonnews.org/200010/blueprints.html
	In the end the best way will be to look at the code from other
KLD's and study the kernel code.
	Care to let us know what you are working on?

						Tim