Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 08:44:04 +0100
From:      Clem.Dye@wdr.com
To:        grog@lemis.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Opinions on HP ScanJet 5P, please

Greg:

I can't comment on it's possible performance under FreeBSD, but my
wife uses one of these beasts on her Win95 box. IMHO, it's a
reasonable, but not a great scanner. The bundled W95 software makes
if very difficult to do high-res. scans, tying the scanner to the
type of printer that you have. That said, once it's set-up properly
(and you tell the software that the printer can handle 2400dpi
printing!), it seems to play OK. Some of the scanned images that
we've gathered have been very good. The one-button scan (green button
on the front of the scanner) is handy, but again, it's operation will
depend on which o/s you use to drive it. SCSI-wise, it's a SCSI-2
device which seems quite happy talking to an Adaptec 1505 card and a
SyQuest 100MB cartridge drive. The supplied Symbios SCSI card is
useful as a doorstop, no more! Speed-wise, it's not the slowest
scanner that I've seen, but it's not exactly jet-propelled, either.

As for price, I reckon (allowing for dollar to pound conversion) that
$150 is a little too pricey for an obsolete device. Depending on
condition, I wouldn't pay more than $125.

HTH

Clem