Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:17:43 -0500
From:      "Jon E. Mitchiner" <jon@minotaur.com>
To:        "FreeBSD" <"freebsd-current@freebsd.org"@hub.freebsd.org>
Subject:   CONTINUED problems: Restore/Dump broken?

> I have a suspicion that 'restore' is broken somehow as I have a new tape
> drive in our web server machine (SONY SDT-7000) and backups work without
any
> problems.  The problem occurs when we try to restore files as we lost a
file
> today, and bang, restore wouldn't work at all.  Below is a list of the
> commands I did to test restore on a new clean tape to make sure it's not
> something else:
>
> www# dump -0u -a -f /dev/rst0 /usr/local
>   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Mar 25 18:52:22 1998
>   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
>   DUMP: Dumping /dev/rsd1s1e (/usr/local) to /dev/rst0
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
>   DUMP: estimated 84334 tape blocks.
>   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
>   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
>   DUMP: 72.94% done, finished in 0:01
>   DUMP: DUMP: 84372 tape blocks on 1 volumes(s)
>   DUMP: finished in 389 seconds, throughput 216 KBytes/sec
>   DUMP: level 0 dump on Wed Mar 25 18:52:22 1998
>   DUMP: Closing /dev/rst0
>   DUMP: DUMP IS DONE
> www# mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind
> www# restore -f /dev/rst0 -i
> tape read error: No such file or directory
> www#

I have tested the tape drive in two other machines (NT & Linux) and it works
fine.  Yes, I have verified that the termination is correctly installed and
working.

At this point, it seems "dump" works, but "restore" does not work in
3.0-CURRENT and I have been unable to resolve or fix the problem.

Does anyone have any clues or suggestions that they could make to resolve
the tape drive problems I'm having?

Thanks!
Jon