Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:53:18 +0200
From:      Divacky Roman <xdivac02@stud.fit.vutbr.cz>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: new dummy syscalls for linuxolator -> new console ?messages

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 02:45:45PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net> wrote:
>  > Quoting Divacky Roman <xdivac02@stud.fit.vutbr.cz> wrote:
>  > > [...]
>  > > I doubt anyone will see any messages unless he/she sets
>  > > compat.linux.osrelease
>  > > to something higher then 2.6.16
>  >
>  > Which is not recommended except you don't mind running into bugs and
>  > getting coredumps from some programs.
>
> That's interesting to know.  Is that documented somewhere?
> I always set the sysctls like this (e.g. on FreeBSD 6.1):
>
> compat.linux.osrelease: 6.1
> compat.linux.osname: FreeBSD

this setting doesnt make any sense.. the osrelease should be set to the version
of linux kernel you want to emulate. ie. 2.4.2 or 2.6.16 etc.

I think that if you set it to 6.1 nothing happens because libc (libc reads this
and then mangles its internals accordingly) doesnt understand this and choses
the safest values...

roman