Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 13:36:40 -0400
From:      Lanny Baron <purebeef@shaw.wave.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   routing tables and problem understanding the results

              Hello,

            I have a cable modem, 2 pcs connected via hub, 2 nics in one
pc (one of those nic cards directly attached to modem via ethernet
cable) and 1 nic in the other pc. I do not have static IP.  When typing
netstat -r the following appears:

[beef]$ netstat -r
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire
default            h24-64-141-1.mt.wa UGSc        4        0       de0
unused.shaw.ca/24  link#2             UC          0        0
unused.shaw.ca     link#1             UC          0        0
unused.shaw.ca     0:80:c8:7e:f3:db   UHLW        1        4
de1    954
unused.shaw.ca     ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff  UHLWb       1        2       de1
24.64.141/24       link#1             UC          0        0
h24-64-141-1.mt.wa 8:0:3e:1a:b8:97    UHLW        5        0       de0
1166
localhost          localhost          UH          0        0       lo0

        Can someone please tell me what the unused.shaw.ca is. I have no
idea what that is.  I usually, right after boot up, type
/usr/local/sbin/dhcpc de0  then a minuet or so later type  natd
-interface de0

     In all this I don't quite understand why I don't have to type
something to reference de1, the 2nd nic card.

    Greg Lehey if you happen to read this, unless I am blind, in your
book The Complete FreeBSD, there is no reference to setting up in this
fashion.

    Is there some way to get my registered domain to point to me? I have
a static so long as don't reboot and of course, the cable co. doesn't
reboot either.

    I would be grateful for any help on this.

    Thank you,
     Lanny