Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:45:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports layout/Combine DESCR and COMMENT Results?

> The big move will be done this weekend, but it doesn't include the
> COMMENT -> Makefile change.

IMO a nice way to do that would be with the comment as the second line of
the Makefile:

	# New ports collection makefile for:    auis
	# Andrew User Interface System
	# Date created:         Sat Nov 18 15:23:47 MET 1995
	# Whom:                 Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
	#

I started work on a change for bsd.port.mk, but my sed skills weren't up
to it.  I'm thinking of something along these lines, so existing ports
would still work:

${.CURDIR}/README.html:
        @${ECHO_MSG} "===>   Creating README.html for ${PKGNAME}"
.if exists(${COMMENT})
        @${CAT} ${TEMPLATES}/README.port | \
                ${SED} -e 's^A%%PORT%%^A'`${ECHO} ${.CURDIR} | ${SED} -e
[...]
                        -e '/%%COMMENT%%/r${COMMENT}' \
                        -e '/%%COMMENT%%/d' \
[...]
                >> $@
.else
        (do something similar, but put the contents of the second line
        of the makefile, starting at character 3, in place of %%COMMENT%%)
.endif
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt