Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:55:00 -0800
From:      David Armour <dfarmour@myrealbox.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   openoffice install [WAS: Re: pkg_add -r openoffice Error: FTP Unable to get ftp:]

>> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 02:44:02PM -0800, David Armour wrote:
>>
>> the handbook directions seem direct and specific. but
>> #pkg_add -r openoffice
>> produces:
>>
>> Error: FTP Unable to get
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/Latest/openoffice.tbz:
>> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
>>
>> is this a handbook, freebsd, kde or openoffice issue? combination of all
>> four? or something specific to 'dumb newbie'?

> Bit of all 4, really..openoffice is the most complex package in the
> ports collection, which means it is often not buildable (e.g. if

thanks for your reply. i'm actually quite relieved.

i'm also feeling a bit like an idiot-savant: i got the whole 9gb (!)
shebang installed and working, jdk1.4 (or 5?) inclusive, with minimal
difficulty... that is, if you don't count the day & a half of chuntering
away the wee box went through to get to that point. but that was a couple
of weeks back, give or take, and on a substantially different configuration.
(a 15gb / partition, for starters, before i lost my nerve and reverted to
the 4gb mess i'm presently contending with)

> something else upon which it depends fails), so it is not always
> available in the most recent package sets.  The openoffice developers
> also provide packages, or you could use the 'release' package sets on

got one already, thanks. but i think i've definitely run out of room to
manoeuvre, if the most recent df -h is any indication.

thanks again. i'm continually amazed at the number of messages i see your name
at the end of.