Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:23:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ggm@connect.com.au (George Michaelson)
Cc:        garbanzo@hooked.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: flags 80ff works (like anybody doubted it)

> I think it was said in 'insanely great' that shaving 1 second off the
> boot time for a Mac over the lifetime of the MacOS is like saving 10 peoples
> lifespans in time saved worldwide...

This quote is from both the book "Accidental Empires" and the PBS
series "Triumph of the Nerds", both by Robert Cringely.

I'm a big advocate of giving developers slow hardware to run on,
but fast hardware to compile on (unless they are compiler writers,
in which case they get slow hardware both places).

However, the point isn't that you can, for $9000, soup up a Ford
Festiva, but that a Ford Mustang cost less than a Ford Festiva and
$9000.

There.  Jordan should be happy... it's a car analogy.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.