Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:53:02 -0700
From:      "Renaud Waldura" <renaud@waldura.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mpd-netgraph and vpn issues

My mistake. I misread the manpage:

COMPILATION
     The kernel options NETGRAPH_MPPC_COMPRESSION and
NETGRAPH_MPPC_ENCRYPTION
     are supplied to selectively compile in either or both capabilities.  At
     least one of these must be defined, or else this node type is useless.

     The MPPC protocol requires proprietary compression code available from
     Hi/Fn (formerly STAC).  These files must be obtained elsewhere and
added
     to the kernel sources before this node type will compile with the
     NETGRAPH_MPPC_COMPRESSION option.

NETGRAPH_MPPC_ENCRYPTION defaults to 1.
NETGRAPH_MPPC_COMPRESSION defaults to 0; it uses proprietary code.

So the bottom line is, encryption works OK but there is no compression yet.

Has anyone compared the performance of this implementation vs. a native
Windows PPTP server with compression enabled?

--Renaud