Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:02:24 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
To:        "Steve Ames" <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New SATA Hardware

Hi Steve Ames,
you wrote.

SA> G'day.

SA> My company is putting together a system with lots of file
SA> system on it to do disk based backup.

SA> Under 5.1-CURRENT what's the best supported (and performing
SA> optimally) SATA RAID controller (RAID 0, maybe 5)? What
SA> manufacturer/model of SATA disks do you recommend for that
SA> controller?

SA> This is our first forray into the world of SATA and we want
SA> to make it painless. I realize I've probably not supplied enough
SA> info for a solid answer but perhaps for a starting place?

3Ware Escalade 8XXX (I think 8K series is SATA, you'll easily figure
it out on their site) should be a safe bet from all I know. Also one of the
most expensive ones, though. But seeing that RAID5 can save you a lot
of money on big disk clusters, it might even end up being cheaper than
el cheapo RAID1 stuff.

Regards,
Gabriel