Date:      Mon, 8 May 2000 08:41:16 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Martin" <Martin.Zibert1@guest.arnes.si>, "Len Conrad" <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: primary and secondary nameserver

I'm afraid Len is correct in his harping on the DNS & BIND book for anyone
wanting to take charge of their own name servers ... I tend to question the
purchase of yet another $75 (in OZ) book when all I require is a paragraph
or two out of it. At at least this particular book appears to contain
information on the majority of the countless minor but critical steps
essential to the DNS / BIND saga, which is more than can be said for most of
the other documentation on the subject !!. As is typical of most everything
with unix, the stuff is unbelievably simple ... its just the terse
documentation that makes unfamiliar issues so incomprehensible to those of
us unfortunate enough to not be an expert.

There is another extremely simple and almost totally non-technical
alternative which provides both secondary DNS without the requirement of ISP
approval .... providing of course one owns the rights to a "full" domain ie
something like "http://www.blah.com". This is to use the services of one of
the free DNS services such as granitecanyon.com or centralinfo.net. It
appears that granitecanyon.com has struck some sort of problem in recent
months as updates take forever & there's no means of communications with the
providers .... even most of the relevant newsgroups are either down or the
moderators block postings with a reference to granitecanyon, however
centralinfo.net certainly looks to be very efficient & even newbie-friendly.