Date:      Wed, 21 May 2003 12:18:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ALQ manual page review

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> On Tue, 20 May 2003, Hiten Pandya wrote:
>
> > Hi gang.
> >
> > I have written a manual page for the Asynchronous Logging Queues (ALQ)
> > facility, available in FreeBSD 5.x.  I have been trying to reach Jeff by
> > various methods of contact (IRC, mail etc) but I have not had a response
> > from him.
> >
> <...>
> The second sentence in the section describing alq_open() is a little bit
> confusing.  Please considering breaking it up.

Another thing that probably needs to appear in the man page is that the
credential associated with the thread invoking alq_open() is the
credential used to authorize the open().  Right now, alq_open() is invoked
only by a sysctl handler requiring privilege to invoke, so this is
fine--but the caller should be aware of this and avoid embaressing
circumstances (such as using a root privileged thread to open a queue on
behalf of an unprivileged process, etc).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories