Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 20:54:32 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@yarmouth>
To:        andy@violet.umfacad.maine.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a good editor

    Andrew>   I am looking for a good editor for BSD that does not
    Andrew> require x-windows.

I recommend Emacs.  Now, the emacs that comes as a precompiled package
on the FreeBSD CD-ROM and FTP site will work without X windows but
needs the X windows shared libraries, so if you've installed those,
you can use it.

If you don't have the X windows shared libraries, then just download
the emacs sources and build it without X windows support.  You should
have no trouble compiling it.

    Andrew> Also my background in X currently looks really bad, but I
    Andrew> am pretty sure I have the correct screen and stuff.

Try running

	xsetroot -solid PaleTurquoise4

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe
you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because hey,
free dummy.  -- Jack Handey