Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:01:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making sh script pause for input

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org> [000425 11:01] wrote:
> > Greg Pavelcak wrote:
> > >
> > > This is driving me nuts. I want a script that prompts with a
> > > student's name and then waits for input regarding that student
> > > then moves on. I've tried using xargs and a script like this:
> >
> > 	The bad news, you can't do that with sh because once you tell it to
> > take its input from a file that's where it's going to take all of its
> > input from. The good news, this is a really easy perl script, and this
> > kind of processing is one of the things perl is really good for.
>
> Actually... :)

> explains some really nifty things you can do with sh and filehandles.

	None of which apply to the original poster's exmple. He wants to
read from the real stdin while inside a loop which is already reading its
stdin from a file. If you can do what the author asked for in sh, I'd love
to see it.

	I'm as big of a bourne shell scripting advocate as anyone, but
there are some things that it doesn't do well, and this is one of them.

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.