Date:      23 Nov 96 16:52:11 EST
From:      Clayton Carney <72271.3671@CompuServe.COM>
To:        support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can't mount root (3)

Hi,

Well, I've made some progress but still have a serious problem.  Following one
of the suggestions given, I rebuild the kernel to address the problem of booting
from wd2 (second drive, second controller).  The pertinent lines in kernel file
are as follows:

config kernel root on wd1

options ATAPI

controller wdc0 ...
disk wd0...
device wcd0...

controller wdc1...
disk wd1...

This accurately reflects my hardware setup (hard drive and CD on IDE controller
0/hard drive on IDE controller 1).  In fact, as the system boots and probes, it
speeds thru the hardware.  Previously, there were considerable pauses occurring
as the drives were being probed.  Now however, the following appears after
probing:

swapon: /dev/wd2s1b: Device not configured
Automatic reboot in progress...
Can't open /dev/rwd2a: Device not configured
/dev/rwd2a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rwd2a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
Automatic file system check failed... help!

Let me echo that request: Help!!!  I kinda understand what's happening here; wd2
has now become wd1 (due to a problem in the way BIOS numbers drive, or so I
gather) and for some reason the system is looking for its goodies on wd2, right?
Question is: how do I get the system to start looking at wd1 instead?!  Let me
perhaps complicate the problem by stating that the shell is the only thing that
seems to work; I can't get into a text editor.

I could use a DETAILED description (please remember, I know DOS and Windows
forward and backwards; but UNIX is completely new to me) of how to go about
correcting this problem.

Many thanks in advance, especially to the many who have already help me so far.
I realize this is all volunteer support and I would have given up long ago
without the help...

Thanks :)

Clayton Carney