Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 1998 09:46:59 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCMIA ethernet cards

In article <327.886745026@gringo.cdrom.com>,
Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:
> I'm a great fan of the LINKSYS PCCARD NICs.  Mine has been working
> just peachy for me for awhile, though I'll admit that I haven't managed
> to get it to work in 10BT mode yet (it's a combo card).  Works fine
> in 10B2 though.

The only way I know of to change the media selection on this card is
(*gag*) to boot up Windows 95 and run the "media.exe" program that
comes with the card.  They call it an "auto-detecting" card, but
clearly the "auto" part of it is nowhere but in the driver.

If you change the media, it sticks even through power-off.

> I think it's a flaw with the PCCARD support in the ed driver since it
> doesn't accept the media flags to ifconfig either.

The problem is most likely that nobody on the project knows how to
tell the card to change its media selection.

John