Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 11:08:57 -0400
From:      "Jon Larssen" <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>
To:        fbsd-q@bzerk.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPS scenario; HOWTO?

Hi,

>From: Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
>On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:34:57AM -0400, Jon Larssen typed:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm adding a UPS to my FreeBSD server, and after reading docs
> > and such, I think I understand the process. But I have one
> > question regarding a far fetched scenario. Just imagine this:
> >
> > (1) Power goes out, the UPS goes into "battery" mode.
> >
> > (2) The power daemon notices this and allows a 5 minutes
> >     (complete configurable) grace time just in case
> >     power is restored in that chunk of time.
> >
> > (3) Tough luck! Nope, no AC power. The power daemon than
> >     signals the operating system to shutdown.
> >
> > (4) As was told to do so, FreeBSD will shutdown. That
> >     ends with a message of the like of "Press any key
> >     to reboot".
> >
> > (5) The server, then, is officially halted. We've got no
> >     AC power and the UPS battery will soon be drained
> >     out.
> >
> > (6) Wait! AC is restored and the UPS was still up. The
> >     lights go green and the buzzer finally quiets. But
> >     the server will be in "Press any key to reboot" mode
> >     indefinitely...
> >
> > or until wither me or one of my coworkers actually press a key.
> >
> > This problem has a solution? Hack? Workaround?
>
>When using APM you can halt the server with shutdown -p. That way
>the power will be turned off completely. When AC is restored later,
>the system will boot again.

Hmm, no, that's not what I asked :) Look at (6) above. The problem is that
AC was restored to the battery BEFORE it depleted, so technically the
battery NEVER was off. And the server is down--either waiting for a key to
reboot or APM'd down.

Get it now? I mean, I tried friday and yes, I'm hosed if that situation
arises :|

Best regards,
Jon Larssen.