Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 00:11:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI controller questions???

> Hello,
>
> > ... or HP1533 is my current recommendations here
>
> I bought an HP1533A around January of 95.  Works great EXCEPT
> that I can't read some DDS-1 tapes (WangDat drives for sure)
> HP claims to have quit shipping them while they fixed the problem,
> unfortunately that occured after I bought mine.  I also found out
> that the 1533A is an OEM version and HP provides NO warranty for it.
       ^^^^  most likely _your_ particular serial number

Technically you can't by the OEM version of the HP1533 as an end user,
that would be a grey market product, since HP's OEM agreement states
that units sold under it are to be integrated and sold in an OEM system.

Even as a VAR I can not buy HP OEM products, technically, unless some
one has violated the HP OEM agreement.

If you obtained an OEM HP1533A, then it was through grey market channels.

> Make sure that the seller provides a good warrenty!  They also claim
> there is no fix for early (ie, mine) models.  I specifically bought
> this model hoping for backwards compatibility, I'm bummed...

I will investigate these issues further tomarrow during the day.  I
deal mostly with large reputable _AUTHORIZED_ distribution channels
so all product I buy carry warranties.  All products I sell carry a
minimum 1 year warranty.  HP is a real stickler on this issue, and
will quickly kill an OEM's discounts if it is caught violating the
agreement, as that does damage to the official distribution market.

Other vendors simply turn there back and look the other way when an
OEM dumps product onto the open market do to purchasing to much of it :-(.