Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 17:09:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, hackers@freebsd.org, nc@ai.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

> >I would like to quantify that ``fairly small these days''.  AMD DX2/66 CPU
> >So it looks like $280 vs $720.  I would call that ``significant'' amount
>
> That's still small compared with total system cost.

Not really, total system cost for a headless router box is adds only
1.44floppy $36, 500MB disk $248, NCR SCSI $72, case/power $70

or $426.00, for a total of $706 vs $1146.  62% is a hit any way you
count the beans :-)

> >of money.  Also since this is probably going to be highly memory speed
> >dependent I suspect an ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G (PCI) could route packets just
> >about as fast as an ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 due to the fact that thier main memory
> >speeds are *very* close.  (Note the ASUS 486SP3G costs as much as the
>
> I think to have any chance of handling n * 100Mbps you would have to lock
> all the code and data into a cache, preferably the CPU cache.  This wouldn't
> be easy in a general purpose system.

Agreed.  It would always be possible to build better routers using
dedicated and carefull chossen hardware and custom software than
any GP and OS based router.  I don't think there is anyone who
will argue with that.

I was just trying to point out that David's statement about 486 vs
Pentium being a ``fairly small'' amount of money these days is simple
not true.   I think I have good ground to stand on as a person who
is making there very living selling PC hardware and deal with the
price/performance trade off issue almost every day of the week.