Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 09:17:32 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        Jimmy Lantz <jimmy.lantz@lusidor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem accessing file  no 2.

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:52:11 +0200
Jimmy Lantz <jimmy.lantz@lusidor.com> wrote:

> foobar# ls -alb
> -rw-r-----   1 ftp  ftp   464 19 Aug  14:27 un\214titled\034
> foobar# cp un^Ětitled^\    ->!   After typing un i pressed tab and
> this filename unveiled
> wheras trying
> foobar# cp un\214titled\034 un\214titled.txt
> cp: un214titled034: No such file or directory
>
> well copying with the ? works but not with the desired preciseness
> since I usually have files with very similiar names.
>
> Have you got any clues?
> / Jimmy
> At 14:55 2002-08-23 +0200, you wrote:
> >From: "Jimmy Lantz" <jimmy.lantz@lusidor.com>
> > > Hi,
> > > I 'm wondering a bit on how to access files that starts
> > >   with a character not "supported" directly by freebsd,
> > > i mean if the file starts with a char that got translated into ?
> > > by
> >freebsd,
> > > how do I know which char to enter to access it ?
> > >
> > > -rw-r-----   1 ftp  ftp     464 19 Aug  2003 ?estfile.txt
> > >
> > > It's not a a question mark it's just been substituted.
> >
> >I would try something like:
> ># mv ?estfile.txt testfile.txt
> >
> >In this case the command you type is with a real '?' character,
> >which, coincidentally, matches any character (it is a
> >single-character wildcard, similar to *, but for one character
> >only!).  Hopefully you will end up with a file called 'testfile.txt'.
> >
> >BTW: ls -lb might reveal what the funny character actually is.

This may not be the ideal solution, but it should work.  Change to the
directory where the file in question resides.  Then try something like:
$ for f in `ls un*titled*`; do cp $f $f.txt; done
The idea is to dump the filename with odd characters into a shell
variable and then simply tack on ".txt" to the end of the variable.
This way you don't have to guess at the characters.  You let bash figure
out what to do.  Maybe someone else knows a better way to dump the
filename into a shell variable?

Nathan