Date:      20 Mar 2001 15:31:49 +0200
From:      Jussi Reissell <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CD burning question

I just started on this CD burning thing, so I'm feeling very shaky ...

Anyway, I have an older internal CD reader and a HP external burner
(both SCSI devices if that matters) and I've been doing some
experimenting. All the data disks I've burnt so far work very well
except for one CD-RW disk. To be more specific, the first time I bunt
a FBSD install image on a rewritable disk, my internal NEC reader
handled it ok. Just for fun I tried blanking the disk and rewriting
the image. After I did this, the NEC reader refused to have anything
to do with the disk! The burner is able to read it allright, though.

So, are there issues with older CD-ROM readers and rewritable disks
that I should be aware of? Or is this a case of simply doing the right
incantations when blanking/burning the disk? I use mkisofs and
cdrecord to burn the disk. I tried to do the blanking with either
blank=all or blank=fast switch on without success.