Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 20:23:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   -current SNAP installation panics

   My $.02 says that I have a hardware problem, most likely dead memory,
but I'm wondering if anyone has a more precise idea before I start
strangling my supplier and asking for a replacement?

   various -current SNAPS (yesterday's, the day before, 0501) panic
midway through installing /bin.  With the bios defaults, I get a write
error (wrote -1 blocks of 1427).  It asks if I want to re-fetch; I do, it
panics, and tries to sync the disks until it gives up and reboots.  With
everything (all caches, PCI burst, onboard IDE, onboard .. well,
everything except FD controller) disabled, it gets about 50% through, and
then kernel panics.  The stack & frame pointers are at different
locations depending on bios settings.

    It still panics with both the onboard and external caches disabled.
It's a P133, triton chipset/award bios, 2 XP3125 quantum grand-prix
(oops) 2gb HDs, 32 megs of 60-ns non-edo ram, adaptec 2940W controller,
off-brand PCI video card.

    Clues?  Memory?

    -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)