Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:05:38 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd-feb@penguinpowered.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Source IP confusion

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup firewalling for some machines, but I'm having some
problems with services on aliases.

I'll use 192.168.1.2 as the primary address and 192.168.1.3 as the alias
for this example.

I have applications like exim and bind, listening on 192.168.1.3 (an
alias on a machine). They are only listening on the alias and on
127.0.0.1. They are NOT listening on 192.168.1.2 (the main IP Address).

The problem I'm having is forcing that application to use its alias for
outbound connections. Even though the local_interfaces in exim is set to
192.168.1.3, when it connects to a machine to deliver mail, that
connection comes from 192.168.1.2 .

This makes firewalling a bit of a pain, because I can't say 'Only allow
port 25 traffic from the mail alias' - I have to allow it from the
machine primary IP.

Can anyone explain why this is and also if there is a way (without
reverting to jails) of getting my applications to use an outgoing
connection ?

Regards,

--
Wayne Pascoe
Bury me deep when there's no will to be....