Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 1996 20:14:00 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ron Steele <ron@infi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SysAdmin Tools - ideas wanted

Ron Steele wrote in message ID
<1.5.4.32.19960705124107.0067e474@mailhost.infi.net>:
> Anyway, I am looking for ideas.  I am currently working on a tcl/tk
> password tool.  Based on the questions I see posted, I think the
> next pieces should probably be ppp configuration and printer setup and
> network configuration.  I am afraid the kernel config is down the
> road a bit.

> If anyone has other ideas about priority, or features they would
> love to see, (or absolutely don't want) lets hear about them.  I hope
> to make this thing both usable by the novice, and useful to the
> expierenced and busy sysadmin.  I put myself somewhere in the middle
> of these too groups in experience, but closer to novice.

Hrm. I have a bunch of mail sat in my mailbox on this subject. It's a
very interesting subject to deal with properly. I think I can say now
that you're heading down the wrong road. A tcl/tk front end, while
nice, doesn't provide the facilities needed IMHO, unless you TOTALLY
separate the tcl end out so that it can be run standalone from the
command line, and in a batch operation mode (i.e. non-interactive).

If you want to wait a few days, I can start up an e-mail dialogue with
you on this ... I'm a bit busy working on the release of 2.1.5 at the
minute.

Yours

Gary