Date:      Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:44:24 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Canonical upgrade procedure for 6.0?

--vA66WO2vHvL/CRSR

Hello Roland,
      Thanks for the response.

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Roland Smith wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 10:28:35AM +0000, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > Hello,
> >     Is there anywhere on the FreeBSD.org site that has any (even if sem=
i-official) procedure for upgrading a FreeBSD-5Stable machine (i386) to 6.0?
>=20
> Chapter 20 of the Handbook details how to update your system with cvsup
> and how to rebuild your kernel+world.

I know about the procedures details in that chapter, however, I'm recalling=
 the fact that at one point in time, there was a "migrating" link (http://w=
ww.freebsd.org/old/releases/5.4R/migration-guide.html) on the old website t=
hat included, if you will, *the way* to migrate from FreeBSD-4 to FreeBSD-5=
 - that included changes and extra steps as against what is mentioned in ch=
apter 20 in the Handbook.

Similarly (to me) in this scenario, in an upgrade from FreeBSD-5 to FreeBSD=
-6, I wondered if any correspondingly different changes / extra steps are r=
equired. My main reason for asking, is the fact that google searches on thi=
s matter return differing procedures (with varying sequences and numbers of=
 steps) used by posters.

If chapter 20 is the way, then fair enough, but I thought it a simple thing=
 to ask.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Regards,

Stacey