Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 12:51:21 +0900 (JST)
From:      Dave Nakamoto (Systems Administrator) <ddt@kkktok21.kline.co.jp>
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject:   help can not load freebsd 2.1.6

Hi,

I hope you can help me with this ...

On my system I run both freebsd 2.1.5 and ms-dos 6.2 /v (a bi-lingual
Japanese/English DOS) .

A couple of days ago I picked up a copy of 2.1.6 RELEASE and set out to install

After creating the freebsd slice (one i1.2G slice on a Western Digital 1.2G
IDE HD) and setting the partitions I commited the install.

The drive acted like it was timing out cycling on/off (drive access light) in
@ 5 sec intervals, I let the installation go on overnite and still did not complete !

looking at the output screen it said it was backing up superblocks and
doing some sort of fsck (I never saw this before in my 2.0.5, 2.1, or 2.1.5
installs).

At the same time I replaced my motherboard ( a Microstar) and upgraded my CPU
and DOS to IBM  DOS 7.0/J.

The net effect of the DOS upgrade was it broke the booteasy  boot manager.

at this time I managed to get 2.1.6 installed once, but when I tried to boot
off the hard drive it returned an error message:

"invalid format"

(note the only way I could get the install to work was to get an old version
of MS-DOS 5.0 loaded, run fdisk (5.0) and format (5.0) on the 1.2G drive

simply using fdisk to remove the "Non-DOS" partition and re-installing (2.1.6)
as I have successfully done with all the other versions of freebsd did not
work.

So I reinstalled 2.1.5 and found booteasy was still broken, It gave me two
choices:

	F1  DOS
	F5  disk2

selecting F5 hung my PC.  To get freebsd up I had to boot from floppy,
boot: 1:wd(1,a)/kernel  (this generated an error msg saying not found)
then enter return at the boot prompt again

boot: \n

this would boot the kernel on the hd.

I found that after I reverted back to MS-DOS 6.2 /v (removing the IBM product)
the booteasy boot manager now works correctly.

Sorry for rambling on here but, back to the remaining problem, any ideas why
I cannot get a good 2.1.6 install to work ?

My hardware:

Gigabyte 586hx motherboard
16M 60ns EDO RAM
Intel Pentium 100M CPU
Conner 515M hd (DOS drive C)
Western Digital 1.2G hd (freebsd)
Adaptic 1542cf SCSI card
Sony 4x SCSi hd (forgot the model number )
nextcom ISA ethernet card (NE200 clone )
USR sportster 28K modem (internal set to com2/sio1)
ATI PCI vidio card (expression 2MB dram)
Musicquest ISA MIDI card

I really would like to run 2.1.6 but for now after five (or so) aborted
installs I'm going to re-install 2.1.5 and at least I'll have a working system.

As I said any suggestoins would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I almost forgot, can tell me which patches I need to apply to clear up
the latest CERT notice about crt.0 on 2.1.5 and (whistfully) 2.1.6 ?

Please send your responses to my private e-mail addr if you can.

Thank you

Dave Nakamoto

ddt@gol.com     (private)
ddt@kline.co.jp (work)