Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:54:10 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Subject:   Re: recent cam snapshot

"Kenneth D. Merry" wrote in message ID
<199807150548.XAA01518@panzer.plutotech.com>:
> 	Generally, it should work.  Make sure your copy of libcam is up to
> date, and make sure that your camcontrol binary was linked against it.  Also
> make sure your kernel is up to date.

There has never been CAM on this machine before. I upgraded by doing
a CVS `co' of the appropriate -current source (with a -D flag that I hope
would specify the matching source tree to the patches), and then
following the instructions in the README file. The only problem
I had was when I rebooted and I realised I had forgotten a patch to
i386/i386/mp_machdep.c that correctly wires the IRQ's for my PCI
bridged 3940 card (which the bios doesn't do correclty in the MP table)

Since camcontrol is not dynamic, I am not sure how to check, but it seems
unlikely that it would have picked up the wrong libcam where there is
only one version on my system :)

> 	I'm not sure why you'd be having trouble with this, unless
> something is out of date or the snapshot is somehow messed up.  I know that
> the first sets of diffs Justin put up for both -current and -stable last
> night didn't apply cleanly, but surely you would have noticed a problem
> when you applied the patch.

The NCR driver had two rejects (which I didn't care about since I don't
use NCR/Symbios cards), and it complained that it couldn't patch
/sys/i386/conf/ASLAN. I have the full patch output if you are
interested (tee is your friend :) )

> 	Try specifying the device you want, like this:
>
> camcontrol -t -n cd -u 0

root@gjp:~>  camcontrol -t -n cd -u 0
camcontrol: cam_real_open_device: CAMGETPASSTHRU ioctl failed
cam_real_open_device: No such file or directory

root@gjp:~> camcontrol -i -n da -u 2
camcontrol: cam_real_open_device: CAMGETPASSTHRU ioctl failed
cam_real_open_device: No such file or directory

> 	New support for DEVFS?  No.  The reason scsi devices appear at the
> end of the kernel boot messages, and often out of order, is that they are
> probed once interrupts are enabled.  Devices are probed in ascending order
> by bus, target, and lun, but they appear in the order that they respond to
> the probe commands.

Ah, sorry, I thought I saw something from Justin in passing on one of the
lists saying he was trying to support devfs's insert/remove sequence.
Maybe I mis-remembered him mentioning it in relation to this snapshot.

> > What is the default number of tags per device? It logs the fact
> > that they've changed, but doesn't indicate if its a change down
> > or up, and what the previous value was...
>
> 	The default number of tags is 64.  I'm surprised you only see
> "tagged openings now 8" for your Fireball ST.   I would think that you
> would see more log messages than that.  There are some drives for which the
> default number of tags is lower, mainly the Quantum Atlas II's.  Look at
> the xpt_quirk_table in src/sys/cam/cam_xpt.c

Since this is my home `workstation'/gateway/server I don't beat on it
much :) I've noticed a message about all of the drives except the
Fujitsu. Since I only use that to hold my CVS tree, I doubt I'll see
a message until the next time I do a cvsup or a full tree update.

Hrm. Or maybe not. I'm doing a cvsup and a find /home/ncvs across it
and it seems to not be complaining. Weird. Maybe Fujitsu has 64 or more
tags?

Thanks Ken,

Gary