Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:44:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Thomas Stromberg <thomas@stromberg.org>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: da0: invalid sector size 520

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Thomas Stromberg wrote:

> Not sure where this disk came from, got it from Ebay. The problem I have
> is I'm getting this error while trying to reformat it.. from sysinstall,
> disklabel, newfs, and dd.. Any advice on how to re-format this disk that
> I'm missing? I'm not very experieced with SCSI stuff.

  disklabel, newsfs and dd don't format the disk though.  You will need to
do a low-level SCSI re-format in order to change the sector size to 512
bytes.

  If you read the manpage for "camcontrol", the section on the format
option specifically mentions changing the sector size.  If looks like you
should change the sector size in the modepage, then issue the format
command.

Tom