Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 23:51:33 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Dan Odom <daniel@jimi.danodom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple serial ports

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Dan Odom wrote:
> Speaking of plug and play, I am having an impossible time finding
> hardware for my FreeBSD and BSDI boxes.  Nothing out there has jumpers
> any more, not even network cards.  Where the heck does everyone find
> supplies in this era of Windows NT?

Just because they have no jumpers, that doesn't mean you are forced
to use PnP.  Certainly most ISA Ethernet cards can be configured by EEPROM
to reside at a fixed address rather than being PnP (usually by use of
a DOS utility).  In some cases, this option is not clearly documented
(SMC EtherEZ for example - there is a command-line option to the
EZSETUP program to disable PnP, but if you go into the menu-driven
version you don't get that option).

Sound cards are the one category where PnP has become almost mandatory.

BTW, note that Windows NT 4.0 doesn't do PnP either - perhaps you meant
"this era of Windows 95" in the above?