Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:15:07 -0900
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>, Valentin Bud <valentin.bud@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: mysqld out of memory

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 07:58:31 Ivan Voras wrote:
> Valentin Bud wrote:
> > I noticed that it is already at 1GB. Now my problem is how can i avoid
> > this in the future because
> > on that production server mysql is crucial or in case it happens how ca I
> > be the first to know
> > of that problem?

[snip]

> Another thing is that mysql shouldn't take infinite amounts of memory to
> work. You need to configure entries in my.cnf to match your limits and
> maxdsiz (in steady state + estimated spikes).

More specifically:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-April/173350.html

Use -e"SHOW STATUS LIKE 'Max_used_connections'" to get an indication of the
number of connections you're seeing. Calculate your memory usage with that
value, then see if it goes above memory limits.
Then try adjusting the key_buffer_size since it's globally allocated.

Note that this requires tuning. A lower key_buffer_size can mean that queries
take longer, which in turn will increase your memory usage.

Things are more complicated with InnoDb.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/innodb-parameters.html
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.