Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 2002 10:46:16 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        xxavi@MyRealBox.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: floppy disk

> Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 21:09:58 +0200 (CEST)
> From: xxavi@MyRealBox.com
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> # mount /dev/fd0c /drives/fd
> grep: /etc/vfstab: No such file or directory
> grep: /etc/vfstab: No such file or directory
> mount: /dev/fd0c: Device not configured
>

> *** mount: /dev/fd0c: Device not configured ***
>

> hi, if the order "mount" means that the device is not
> configured,it has to be configured, isn't it?? so, how it has
> to be done?

FreeBSD does not have /etc/vfstab. It is a System V UNIX thing. If
mount is looking for it, something is badly awry.

The use of grep is also disturbing. mount(8) should not call grep.

Try "alias mount" and "which mount". I suspect mount is executing some
shell script written for some other Unix system that tries to do
something clever by pre-parsing the vfstab file. Of course, this is
useless on FreeBSD. The alias command should return nothing and the
which command should return "/sbin/mount".

The other very real possibility is that your system has been hacked
and the mount command has been subverted.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)