Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 19:10:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rack-mounted PC's, anyone?

Ok, ok, I know this isn't strictly *FreeBSD* related and I apologize..  :-)
but I thought it might be of some interest to those folks who are doing
similar things, and I'm not having much luck...

sol.net is currently located in several hundred square feet of space (a nice
expanse).  By the end of summer, I forsee the very likely possibility of
moving.  I currently have equipment spread out all over the place; my new
available machine room area will be about 7'x8' (yes 56 sq ft), and will
house something on the order of a dozen PC's, workstations, and misc
telecommunications equipment.  It might be a bit cramped.  :-)

The telecom equipment, workstations, and some of the disks are already
rack-mountable.  I would like to rack mount all of the PC's, (currently six
or seven) but need to find a cost effective solution.  sol.net charges no
fees and generates no revenue - support comes from a trickle of donations
and my own pocket.  The rack-mounted PC case solutions I have seen to date
are in the $300-$400 range.

(I don't need monitors.  I don't need keyboards.  I just need the #&^@#
machines...)

Does anyone have an inexpensive source for rack-mountable PC cases, and
perhaps other rack oriented supplies?  If it were just one or two machines I
would not mind paying a couple hundred bucks, but the multiplier is a
killer.   :-)

Thanks,

... Joe