Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 16:19:14 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        koshy@india.hp.com (A JOSEPH KOSHY)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpdump / kernel dropping packets

A JOSEPH KOSHY stands accused of saying:

> I was testing my network driver and found that `tcpdump' was experiencing
> a very high packet drop rate.
>
> If I run "tcpdump" without the "-n" option, I find (a) the output on
> screen is `bursty' with long periods of silence (b) at the end of the run
> tcpdump reports typically 90% of the packets "dropped by kernel".

Your nameserver is not good.

> I'd like to know if this behaviour is normal or whether there is something
> wrong with my network setup (read: my driver :)).

I can watch pretty busy networks (eg. campus backbone with >500 nodes) with
an NE2000-klone without any great problems.  (Obviously with '-n')

Is the machine doing anything else?  8M and IDE make a very poor combination
if the system has to go near the disk.

> Koshy

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[