Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:01:34 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Benno Rice <benno@freebsd.org>, freebsd-powerpc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patch to allow buildworld for powerpc

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:06:45AM +1000, Peter Grehan wrote:
> > You will notice when building world that you get a lot of warnings from
> > gcc about the prototypes for various mem* and str* functions differing
> > from it's builtins.  I'm talking to the toolchain guys at the moment
> > about fixing these.
>
>  You should have talked to me :-) rs6000/rs6000.h has the wrong definition of
> SIZE_TYPE for FreeBSD, which causes conflicts with the builtin mem/str functions.
> It needed to be overridden in rs6000/freebsd.h.
>
>  For those who want to start building, I've put the gcc diffs up at
>
>  people.freebsd.org/~grehan/gcc_diffs.tgz

Rather than dicking around with cross-builds (which I've *NEVER* gotten
to work), when can we get a tarball that I can lay down and do NFS
booting?  I will fix all toolchain problems and push the changes back to
the FSF repo when that happens.  Cross-building just takes way too long
to do a run to test something as you have to build 1/2 the world when
you're only interested in a single component.

Part of the success of sparc64 was that jake and tmm made such tarballs
available and concentrated on the parts only they could do -- kernel
stability and development.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)