Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 07:28:26 -0500
From:      Jim King <king@sstar.com>
To:        Kai Schmidt <ks@hirvi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RC5 Client for FreeBSD Alpha

&gt;after bringing my Multia up and running I am looking for a rc5 client
for<br>
&gt;FreeBSD/AXP.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Did anyone port it?<br>
The version that distributed.net supplies for OSF/1 works on FreeBSD with
Andrew Gallatin's OSF/1 emulator module.&nbsp; Get it at
&quot;To get started, download the above tarball and untar it into your
source tree. Then cd to sys/modules/osf1 and build &amp; install it. Load
the module with the just installed osf1 shell script.&quot;<br>
rc5des is statically linked, so you won't need any OSF/1 libs to run
it.&nbsp; You will need to create /compat/osf1/etc/svc.conf; here's the
one I use:<br>
aliases=local <br>
group=local,yp <br>
hosts=bind,local,yp <br>
netgroup=local,yp <br>
networks=local,yp <br>
passwd=local,yp <br>
protocols=local,yp <br>
rpc=local,yp <br>
services=local,ypSECLEVEL=BSD <br>
Now the bad news:&nbsp; Alphas do relatively poorly cracking RC5, I think
due to lack of a rotate instruction.&nbsp; Be prepared for poor
performance.<br>
otoh, Alphas do pretty good on DES.&nbsp; When the next DES contest
starts be sure your Multia is ready to go.<br>
Jim<br>