Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 20:03:04 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        RYAN DARBY <DARBY1@x400.telkom400.inca.za>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dummies guide to freebsd ?

> Is /usr mentioned in the install the directory /usr as a subdirectory
> of / on the disk?  And is the / in the install /root on the  disk?

/usr is indeed a subdirectory of /.  One of the nice things about the
Unix filesystem is that it's all one big hierarchy and you can add
extra partitions, disks, CDROMs, NFS-mounted filesystems etc etc into
it without all this nonsense about having to remember that your CDROM's
on drive P:, except it's on Q: if you add a network drive...

/root is the directory you arrive in if you log in as the superuser
(using the login name "root").  /, which is rather confusingly known
as "the root directory", is the base of the filesystem hierarchy
(think of the hierarchy as a tree, with directories branching off
it, and the origin of the term "root directory" may become a little
clearer, although people seem to make a habit of drawing the tree
upside down, for some reason).

> Also, I get a WARNING : / NOT PROPERLY DISMOUNTED when I boot.  I logout
> and then turn off.  I am running on a standalone PC.  Am I doing something
> wrong to get out of it?

Welcome to the world of real operating systems :-)

In Unix (and other systems like OS/2 and WinNT) a lot of data is kept
in memory in case it's needed again, rather than saving it to disk and
re-loading it again.  When you turn off the computer without shutting
it down properly, any data that has not been saved to disk will be lost.

A program called 'fsck' is run at boot time to check that the file
systems are self-consistent; it notices that / was still open when
the system went down and warns you so that you can investigate
whether any important data was lost.

The correct way to finish off a FreeBSD session is to use the "halt"
or "reboot" commands, which do the obvious things immediately; if
you're sharing the system with other people, "shutdown" is a more
friendly way, giving people time to save their work first.

> Also, is there perhaps a FAQ or giude to BSD on the internet that is
> intended for total begginers such as myself?  I am battling along in a
> small desert town with nothing but Win95 for 500Km around me!

You really *are* a long way from civilisation (and I'm not talking
about the desert here :-)

Try http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ for starters; if you can get
hold of one of the sysadmin books it recommends, so much the better.
Also try looking out for the comp.unix.questions FAQ.