Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:43:10 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd vs ijppp

[ My last post on the subject, I promise!

> >> (*) Fine print.  Per connection.  Perhaps less than 5%.
>
> Your premise that you can't have your cake and eat it too is much more of
> a matter of a lack of design foresight than fact. There are clearly solutions
> which address both the functional and performance issues. The benefits
> of pppij can be integrated into a kernel ppp with gains rather than losses
> of overall appeal.

If you look above, I admitted that those solutions *could* be integrated
into the kernel, but it would take time and memory.  Maybe the memory
usage seems a bit excessive, but although it *could* be done in less
generally speaking the first version is always a pig.

Since no-one around here has time to do the integration, it's not going
to get done unless you want to do given your well publicized experience
in doing such things.  Then you can show us how easily and compactly it
can be done, and shut me up. :)

Nate