Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:11:07 -0800
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        nate@trout.mt.sri.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RMS's view on dynamic linking

In article <199702212325.QAA06245.kithrup.freebsd.hackers@trout.mt.sri.com> you write:
>His view is that linking two programs is not "mere aggregation", regardless or
>whether it's static or dynamic linking.

That sounds about right.

That's why the LGPL exists.  And why you cannot use GPL'd code in even a
dynamicly-linked library.

The LGPL was written to allow shared libraries to be created using LGPL'd
code; this was stated by many people involved with the creation of the LGPL
(I worked with/for some of them, and the issue came up *many* times).

Ignore Terry when he comes up and talks about how the LGPL doesn't work. ;)