Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:09:03 EST
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.ventu@flashnet.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nat + smtp

Hello.
I've setup a gateway machine for a network with ADSL. It connects to the internal LAN on
rl1, to an ADSL router on rl0 and uses PPPoE to access the Internet; userland ppp is used to
provide both the connection and nat services.
The client are a mix of Windows platforms, including Win98 and Win2000 using Outlook (sigh)
as their mail client.

Everything works fine (including pop3, http, https) except smtp: when trying to send
outgoing mail from the Win2000 machine, the smtp connection starts, the slows continuously
until it reach almost 0 B/s and the remote server (I tried different ones) closes the
connection. Win98 clients usually do work (altough with different performance levels: some
are very fast, some show the above problem, but not as bad).

Anyone has any idea of what might be happening?
I tried set log tcp/ip from ppp, I tried tcpdump on every interface the system has, but
noticed nothing strange (to me).
Even a pointer to where to look would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
 Bye
	av.