Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 20:09:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Andreas Kohout <shanee@rabbit.augusta.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Numbercount in /kernel

On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Andreas Kohout wrote:

> if I boot, there is a messages from the kernel:
>
>   FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0: Sat Aug 17 22:36:48 MET DST 1996
>
> Should4nt the #0 been incremented by every new kernel compilation?

Only if you run config with the -n option to save the compliation
directory.  The advantage, other than incrementing the #, is that kernel
compilations take about half the time to do since many of the support
files aren't recompiled.

There are many instances where you don't want to do this, though, and can
cause odd problems.