Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 18:14:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a chicken-egg problem with bootp and nfs_mountroot

Eric L. Hernes writes:

| Howdy,
|
| A couple weeks ago I did some rather gross hacks locally here to get
| around some similar problems.. I wanted a MFS root with NFS swap,
| via boot rom.  I ended up calling nfs_moutroot() from
| mfs_mountroot() or something like that, all buggered up with an
| MFS_NETBOOT option... Pretty hackish,  but it works and I haven't
| gotten a chance to clean it up yet :(
|
| Is that of any interest?  Do you have any ideas on a cleaner way
| to accomplish this... Or is this irrelevant to your question? ;-)

I've done something similar since I'm using the bootp stuff & mfs root.
I added a SYSINIT to do the bootp call if nfs is not being used.  I also
added code to specify which adapter to send the bootp requests on in case
of multiple controllers.  What I've been stumped on is trying to do a
bootp request on all interfaces until success.  This might be the
wrong thing to do.

BTW I hacked up the Linux etherboot code to be able to tftp the kernel
and boot FreeBSD again.  This way I can do netboots over Intel 10/100B
cards.  However now I'm running into a problem with machines locking up
with a non-trival compile.

I hope to get this code cleaned up since I've been gross hacking stuff
to get things to do what I need.

BTW anyone know how to pass a string in via a #define in config?

Doug A.