Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:36:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Chris Silva <bitsurfr@enteract.com>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Wanting to go to -CURRENT

First off, why would you want to go to -current?

for the most part, features in -current, might be pulled back in to
-stable at some point. when -current is actually released, it'll run quite
nicely, but in the meanwhile, it's slightly pointless for most folks to be
running it on anything close to resembling a production box.

now, after that little rant.. to answer your question..

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Chris Silva wrote:

> I'm running 3.4-STABLE on a few boxes at home. I want to go to -CURRENT.
> I'm assuming a cvsup using the standard supfile will do this - however,
> I have tried cvsuping to current, but it blows up towards the end (I
> am sorry, I didn't think to save any error messages) and on reboot, I'm
> forced to single mode, and I can't use the default SH - it's pretty well
> hung up and I'm forced to do a re-install.

this is caused by incompatable libraries being installed. your old
3.4-stable box doesn't much like the new 4.0 libraries, and the new 4.0
binaries don't really like the 3.4 kernel..

your solution is pretty much it, you have to reinstall.

to the best of my knowledge, "make upgrade" is still broken. you might try
to do a buildworld of the -current sources, but most likely they'll fail
aswell.

> Is this something that happens often? Or is there now a trick to use
> current? TIA

my trick was getting a SNAP release, and making a bootable CDROM from
it. of course, as most "real hackers" would have told you, this is
"cheating" and just not the "right way" to do it. but hey, it worked.

as for what you might do, or try, well, i suggest first remembering that
4.0 will be out as -stable (heh) "real soon now".

> Best regards,
> 		 Chris

-- jan

  email: jan[at]caustic.org   web: http://www.caustic.org/~jan
   "knowledge is power. power corrupts. study hard, be evil."