Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 11:50:58 +0200
From:      Arne Henrik Juul <arnej@stud.math.ntnu.no>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk, allenc@verinet.com, config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Config Databases

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> > 	  problem: how is the user supposed to know he made a mistake ?  You ca
>
> He'll know it pretty conclusively, I think, when the change he just
> made mysteriously has no effect whatsoever and doesn't show up in the
> file. :)

Speaking as a long-term system administrator, this is the most stupid
suggestion I've ever heard, and using a thing like this would make me
wish for Windows.  (hmmm... that's about the max-value on my flame-
thrower I think :-)

> Succeeding silently and using secret knowledge of the file format to
> tack in comments also strikes me as a cute but ultimately untenable
> workaround, so I really do vote for the simpler approach.

This *might* be OK.  If you want to do a "simpler approach" I'd say
it's better to make the configfs files read-only until there is
something in place that can report errors in a sensible way.

  -  Arne H. J.